Virtual Schoolbag (VSB)
Tenner is a free National Enterprise Challenge. Students are pledged £10.00 from the Tenner Bank and use this start-up capital to get their enterprise off the ground, providing essential work & money management experience.
The Tenner Challenge provides a highly interactive way for students to develop key skills including creativity, resilience, and problem solving, using real money to take calculated risks in business in a safe environment. Students aged 11-19 years have just one month to set up a business - coming up with an idea of a product or service they can sell and so gain first-hand experience of what it is like to work and be an entrepreneur.
Why sign up?
- encourages pupils to consider their attitudes towards work and money and what drives the choices they make
- provides hands on experience of running a business
- introduces pupils to managing money, budgeting and understanding how money plays an important part in people's lives
- develops key skills such as team work, creativity and communication
- contributes towards five of the eight Gatsby Benchmarks for good career guidance.
- The average profit on last year's programme was £111
- 80% of young people and 96% of teachers would recommend Tenner
- 84% of teachers agreed Tenner Challenge supports educational requirements for a broad range of subjects including Maths and English.
Whilst the aim for teams is to make as much money as they can, students are also encouraged to think ethically and sustainably about their business plans. Over 60% of students last year also chose to donate their profits to a charity.
This year the Challenge will take place from 4th March - 5th April. We can help kick start your Tenner Challenge by running a free 20 minute assembly covering the scheme, product and service ideas, rules and a Q&A session.
All the resources are ready online for you and your students to make the Challenge a success, from an easy to follow step-by-step guide to getting started, to handy tips to keep everyone on track. So why not sign up today!
Could your local Tenner school use a motivating Speaker? Founders4Schools is a free service connecting leaders of successful growing businesses who have linked a special page for all Tenner participating schools to invite a business leader to speak for up to 60 minutes. School can book a speaker at any time throughout or after the Challenge. We send an email once their registration is confirmed with this information. It's a great way to offer an encounter with an employer www.founders4schools.org.uk.